Lemon Meringue Pie
For the pie crust
* 200g plain flour (combined with a pinch of salt)
* 100g cold butter (unsalted + cubed)
* 1 tbsp icing sugar
* 4 tbsp ice-cold water
For the lemon filling
* Zest of 5 lemons
* 175ml lemon juice + 375ml water
* 40g cornflour
* 150g caster sugar
* 4 large egg yolks
* 40g butter (unsalted + cubed)
For the meringue
* 4 large egg whites
* 220g caster sugar
* 2 tsp cornflour
- Using your hands, rub together the butter and flour until the mixture resembles sand. Stir in the icing sugar. Then add the water 1 tbsp at a time, stirring with a knife until the mixture starts to just clump together. Tip onto a sheet of clingfilm and wrap into a ball, pressing gently together. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry into a large circular shape, bigger than the tin, on a lightly floured surface. Fold the pastry circle gently in half, then half again, then lift into the tin, before carefully unfolding again. Gently press the pastry into the tin. Chill again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Trim off the excess - the sides of the pastry will shrink so be sure not to cut off too much excess. Place a sheet of crumpled parchment paper on top of the pastry and then fill with baking beans.
- Bake blind for 15 minutes and then remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes until the pastry is pale and golden.
- Whilst the pie crust is cooling, make the lemon filling. Place the lemon zest, cornflour and sugar in a pan over a medium heat. Gradually add the lemon juice and water mixture, mixing until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks and butter.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve then pour into the pie crust, which should be completely cooled, and set aside.
- Now make the meringue. Preheat the oven to 160°C fan.
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form, start on a low speed and gradually increase.
- Once stiff peaks have formed, add in the cornflour then gradually add the sugar until you have a thick, glossy meringue.
- Spoon this mixture on top of the pie, spreading to the edges and swirling as you go. Before putting in the oven, use a blow torch to toasts the meringue.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until the meringue is light golden.
- Let the pie cool slightly before cutting into it.