Apple and Blackberry Muffins
Delicious, throw-together muffins that are reliably light and fluffy every time. These baked confections encapsulate everything you want in a muffin - spicy, fruity, Autumnal flavours flecked with glittering demerara sugar. Perfect with a mug of tea.
250g self-raising flour
150g soft light brown sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
140ml sunflower oil
200g Greek yoghurt
2 medium free-range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium size apple, cored and chopped (no need to peel)
140g blackberries, chopped
½ tablespoon demerara sugar
Tala Performance 12 Cup Bun Tin
Tala Dusty Pink Stoneware Mixing Bowl
Tala Set of 5 Measuring Spoons
- Put all of the dry ingredients into the large mixing bowl and whisk to combine, breaking up any large lumps.
- Crack the eggs into the small bowl and whisk briefly before adding to the dry ingredients along with all the other wet ingredients.
- Mix until combined, then fold in the fruit.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for an hour to chill.
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius fan (320 Fahrenheit fan).
- Line the bun tin with cupcake cases and divide the mixture evenly between the twelve cupcake cases.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar over all of the cupcakes
- Bake for 30 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Allow to cool in the tin before serving.
Try snipping the blackberries with kitchen scissors rather than dirtying a sharp knife and chopping board – far less washing up!
If you have missed blackberry season, replace blackberries with frozen raspberries, currants or blackcurrants. All work well.
Serve warm with sour cream or marscapone for a luscious Autumn pud!