We are bringing you this wonderful layered carrot cake!
It’s made with super fluffy, moist and soft sponge sandwiched between layers of silky-smooth cream cheese frosting and topping of zesty and fragrant candied orange peel. Beautiful, easy bake, perfect to celebrate any occasion!
Prep Time: 25min
Cook Time: 30min
For the cake:
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g light brown muscovado sugar
- 180ml sunflower oil
- 300g carrots, grated
- 3 large eggs
- 150ml Greek yogurt
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 180g softened butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 800g full-fat cream cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 170C (150C fan). Grease and line two 20cm loose-bottom deep baking tins with baking paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, all the spices, salt and sugar and carrots. Add sunflower oil and beaten eggs and whisk to combine. Lastly, fold in the yogurt. Divide the mixture between two baking tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
3. Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes, then turn into a cooling rack to cool completely.
4. Prepare the cream cheese frosting. Combine the butter and icing sugar using an electric mixer. Add vanilla and cream cheese and whisk until smooth and fluffy.
5. Slice each cake in half horizontally, to make 4 even layers. Place one of the cakes on a cake board or serving plate, then spread with an even layer of cream cheese frosting, about 0.5cm thick. Repeat with the remaining sponges and cream cheese. Use any cream cheese remaining to frost the cake all over with it.
6. Decorate the cake with marzipan carrots and candied orange peel if you would like.