Coconut and Vanilla Cupcakes
Delicious coconut and vanilla cupcakes – perfect for a Mother’s Day treat! There’s a soft and fluffy sponge cake base with a hidden jammy middle, topped with a creamy coconut icing. You’d honestly never know they were completely gluten free.
We've decided to go all out with three different colours for the icing swirls, made super easy using the handy Tala piping bag kit. The array of pretty pastels is giving all the spring vibes!
For the cupcakes:
110g unsalted butter (room temp)
190g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
210g gluten free self raising flour
140ml coconut milk from a tin
150g strawberry jam
For the icing-
200g unsalted butter (room temp)
450g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
7 tbsp coconut milk from a tin
Desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and fill a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla with the second egg.
- Add about ¼ of the coconut milk and fold it through, then sift in about ¼ of the flour and fold that in also. Continue alternating between adding the two until everything is folded in.
- Transfer the batter to your cupcake liners. Each should be about halfway full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre of a cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a small knife to cut a hole in the middle of each cake. Fill the holes to the top with strawberry jam.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and vanilla with an electric hand whisk until smooth. Then gradually sift in the icing sugar, beating after each addition. Once the mixture starts to become a little dry, start mixing in the coconut milk 1 tbsp at a time in alternation with the icing sugar.
- Split the icing equally between three bowls. Add a few drops of your food colouring of choice to each bowl and mix.
- Pipe swirls of icing on top of each cupcakes and sprinkle a little desiccated coconut on top.