Disco Ball Cake
Preparation time 20 mins, plus 30 mins decorating time
Baking time 45 mins
500g plain flour, sifted
6 large eggs
250ml vegetable oil
220g caster sugar
6 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
500g unsalted butter, at room temperature
450g icing sugar, sifted
3-4 tbsp milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gray/black food colouring
500g grey fondant
Edible silver paint
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Grease two 18cm sphere cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, sugar, milk and mix with an electric whisk, until nice and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime prepare the buttercream. With an electric mixer whisk the butter for 5 mins then add half of the icing sugar and beat for 4-5 mins. Add the remaining sugar and beat for another 4-5 mins. Add the milk, vanilla and food colouring and beat until well combined.
- Roll the grey fondant to a thickness of 2mm and cut out 1.5cm x 1.5cm squares.
- Brush each square with edible silver paint and let dry.
- Once the sponges are completely cooled down, assemble and decorate the cake.