Easter Egg Smash Pinata Cake
A flavourful vanilla cake topped with strawberry-cream cheese frosting and covered with white chocolate shell with a delicious surprise inside.This cake, although small is one for the whole family or a group of friends. And the best thing about it is, you guessed it - smashing it
PREP TIME: 1 HOUR
TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS
75g usalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
130g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
25g sour cream
40g unsalted butter
50g cream cheese
50g pureed fresh strawberries
380g icing sugar
300g white chocolate
Preheat the oven to 175C (160C fan).
- Line the 18cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar, vanilla and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the sour cream, then add eggs one at the time mixing well after each addition.
- Sift in the flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with milk.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool down completely on the cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate egg shell. Put the Tala sphere 18cm cake pan into the freezer while you're melting the chocolate.
- To melt the chocolate, put the chocolate into a heat-safe bowl and place the bowl over a saucepan with simmering water. Mix occasionally until the chocolate is fully melted, then remove from heat and wipe off the bottom of the bowl with the kitchen towel (water shouldn't come in contact with chocolate).
- Take the sphere cake pan out of the freezer and pour half of the chocolate into the pan. Swirl the chocolate around the pan to cover it completely.
- Put into the freezer for 20 minutes, then repeat the process with the remaining chocolate. Place into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- While the chocolate is in the freezer, make the cream cheese frosting. Beat the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth, add pureed strawberries and icing sugar and mix further until smooth and creamy. Keep adding more icing sugar if you want a thicker consistency.
- Now take the chocolate out of the freezer and gently slide it out of the pan.
- Assemble the cake.
- Spread the frosting over the cake (save some to decorate the chocolate shell), top with the strawberries and candy and cover with chocolate shell.
- To decorate the shell, add 1-2 tbsp of milk to the cake frosting to loosen it then drizzle over the shell in a decorative pattern.
Decorate with Easter candy and sprinkles before smashing with a rolling pin or a small wooden hammer!