Prep time: 45 mins
Bake time: 30 mins
200g plain flour, sifted
50g ground almonds
120ml vegetable oil
60 ml lemon juice
180ml crème fraîche
3 teaspoons baking powder
4 large eggs
125g caster sugar
Zest of 1-2 lemons
Few drops of lemon extract (optional)
1kg mascarpone cheese
600ml double cream
350g icing sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Food colouring of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Grease and line three 6 inch round cake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, lemon juice and zest, lemon extract and creme fraiche and mix with an electric whisk, until nice and fluffy.
- Add the flour, almonds, baking powder and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the three tins and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime prepare the frosting by simply mixing together the ingredients with an electric whisk.
- Assemble and decorate the cake.
Spread a layer of frosting on the first sponge, then top with the second sponge.Repeat.
Cover the top and sides of the cake with more frosting, then smooth it out with the help of a spatula.
Transfer the rest of the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a flower noozle and pipe roses all around the cake.Enjoy!