Strawberries & Cream Battenberg
● 175g unsalted butter (softened)
● 175g golden caster sugar
● 3 large eggs
● 175g self-raising flour
● 1 tsp vanilla extract
● 2-4 tbsp freeze dried strawberry powder
● 50g strawberry jam Frosting:
● 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
● 200g mascarpone
● 200ml double cream
● 200g chopped strawberries for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Grease all the inside edges of your Tala Battenberg Tin with butter.
3. Beat together the butter and sugar until combined, then add the eggs and vanilla and beat again until a consistent mixture is formed. Then, add in the flour and mix until combined.
4. Split the mixture in half and add the freeze dried strawberry powder into one half and mix until the batter is consistently pink.
5. Spoon the cake mixture into the battenberg tin - fill each slot about 3/4 of the way and smooth with the back of a pallet knife.
6. Place the tin on a tray and bake in the centre of the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the sponges have risen and a toothpick inserted comes out clean from all slots.
7. Leave to cool in the tin for at least 30 minutes. Then, once the tin is cool enough to touch, dismantle it and let the cakes rest on a wire rack until completely cool.
8. Meanwhile make the buttercream: put the mascarpone and sugar in a bowl and beat until smooth. Whisk in the double cream until it just forms soft peaks.
9. To assemble the cake, use one of each cake as the bottom layer, sandwiched with jam and the cream frosting, and then place the alternate cake on top of the base cakes, again sandwiched with jam and cream. Cover the whole cake in a light layer of cream frosting and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
10. Spread the rest of the cream frosting all over the cake, decorate with strawberries, cut a slice, and enjoy!