Tala's Strawberry Spread
If you love fruit but you find that heavy, sticky, sugary jams are not for you, perhaps our delicious, light fruit spread with no added sugar will be more your sort of thing! Make full use of strawberry season this year by making a quick and easy batch of strawberry spread. Enhanced with lemon and honey, the delicious fresh smell and natural sweetness of the strawberries and honey really sings out. Pair with thick Greek yoghurt, contrast with crisp light meringues, spoon over ice-cream or spread thickly over scones, crumpets or granary bread. Store the spread in sterilised Tala preserving jars where it will keep happily in the fridge for up to a week.
Zest of one small lemon
3 tsp juice from the lemon
2 tbs runny honey
- Weigh the strawberries, then hull, chop and place them in the saucepan with the lemon zest and juice.
- Keep the pan over a low heat for ten minutes, stirring now and then with a wooden spoon.
- After ten minutes, mash the strawberries with the potato masher until they liquefy and heat for a further ten minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree the fruit with a hand blender. Return to the heat, again on a low setting, for a further ten minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the honey and stir. Allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Transfer to a sterilised jar and allow to cool before refrigerating.
- Spread on bread, scones, croissants, cake… or layer within trifle, pavlova, yoghurts or ice cream sundaes, the options really are endless!