Heart Surprise Cupcakes
Cupcakes + Heart Centre
● 250g self raising flour
● 250g caster sugar
● 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
● Pinch of salt
● 250g soft butter (unsalted)
● 4 large eggs
● 3 tbsp whole milk + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract mixed
● Pink/red food colouring
● 150g high fat content butter, softened (not melted)
● 340g icing sugar
● 3 tbsp whole milk + 1/4 tsp vanilla extract mixed
● Pink food colouring
● Heart sprinkes
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C (fan).
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Then add in your eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
4. Sift in your dry ingredients, flour, salt and bicarbonate soda, and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Over a low speed, gradually pour in the milk/vanilla mixture, once it is all incorporated give it one last blast.
6. Place 12 cases into a cupcake tray and fill the cases 2/3 full - this should use up about half of the mixture.
7. With the other half, add pink or red food colouring until you get the desired colour and pour into a greased and lined sandwich tin. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
8. Once baked, leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to the fridge for a further 10-15 minutes.
9. Once cooled, level off the cake by removing the top crust. Then, using a mini heart shaped cutter, cut out 12 hearts and place one in the centre of each cupcake. Make sure the hearts all face the same way so that when you cut them for the surprise, the heart shows clearly.
10. Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
11. Whilst you wait for the cupcakes to cool completely, whip the butter for 5 mins until pale and creamy.
12. Then gradually add the icing sugar with the mixer on low speed.
13. Once all the icing sugar has been incorporated, mix in the milk and vanilla mixture.
14. Add your pink or red food colouring and mix until evenly distributed.
15. Place into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
16. Pipe away, add sprinkles, then cut to reveal the surprise heart! Enjoy.