Valentines Raspberry and Rose Madeleines
These madeleines are perfect for Valentine’s Day and any raspberry lovers out there! These delicious little treats will keep you coming back for more.
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp rose water/extract
- 2 ½ tbsp freeze-dried raspberry pieces - plus extra for decoration
- 110 g plain flour - plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 110g unsalted butter (melted and cooled) - plus extra for greasing
- 150g white chocolate (melted)
- 5g freeze-dried raspberries (blitzed)
- Using an electric whisk or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar together on a medium to high speed until pale, thick and doubled in size.
- Add in the rose water and freeze-dried raspberry pieces and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and mix on a low speed until just combined.
- Gently fold in the melted (and cooled) butter until fully combined.
- Cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 185°C and prepare the madeleine tin. Melt the extra butter and grease each mould, then lightly dust with flour. Refrigerate the tin until the oven is at the correct temperature for baking.
- Fill each mould with a tablespoon of mixture (about two thirds full) being careful not to overfill or level off the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the mixture is golden and has risen in the middle. Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack and leave to cool, they should come out of the tin quite easily.
- Melt the white chocolate in 30 second bursts in the microwave until smooth. Meanwhile, using a blender or pestle and mortar, blitz up the freeze-dried raspberries into a powder.
- Add the raspberry powder to the melted chocolate and mix well, then dip one end of the madeleine into the chocolate. Let the excess drip off then place on a a piece of parchment paper, crinkle side up, and sprinkle with freeze dried raspberry pieces to decorate. Wait until the chocolate is set, then dig in and enjoy!