Vegan Chocolate Cinnamon Star Bread
Time: 10 minutes prep + 18 minutes baking
For the Dough:
240ml plant-based milk
45g vegan butter, cubed
400g self-raising flour, plus extra
30g coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of salt
For the Filling:
80g dairy-free chocolate spread, warmed if needed
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp melted vegan butter or olive oil
For the Glaze:
1 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180ºC and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir together the sugar and cinnamon for the filling in a bowl and leave to one side. Warm the chocolate spread if needed to make it easier to spread.
- Warm the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter just melts. Stir well and check that the mix is lukewarm, if needed, allow to cool down slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pour in the milk-butter mix and stir to a shaggy dough. Bring together with your hands and knead slightly for 1 minutes to bring to a small ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces (best to weigh them) and roll each one into a circle, approximately 24-cm diameter.
- Lay one circle on top of the baking tray and brush half with melted butter or oil and sprinkle over 1 tbsp of the cinnamon sugar mix. Spread the other half with chocolate spread.
- Top with a second piece of dough and repeat the cinnamon sugar and chocolate on alternate sides. Repeat once more with the third piece of dough.
- Top with the fourth piece of dough and place a small round in the middle, this is where you will cut from the outside pf the top and stop here.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into 16 strips, I start with quarters, eights and then 16 pieces.
- Take two pieces of star bread and twist away from each other twice then pinch them together at the tops to create a point. Repeat to make 8 points of the star bread.
- Stir together the olive oil (or melted butter) and maple syrup for the glaze and brush all over the star bread (save some for after).
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and puffed up.
- Brush with the leftover glaze and sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold, with extra icing sugar.
- Store the star bread for 1-2 days in a sealed container at room temperature or you can freeze the bread for up to 1 month, allowing to defrost at rom temperature.