Baking is one of the best forms of nostalgia and a classic apple crumble never fails to get the family gathered around the table.
1kg Bramble Apples
100g caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
225g plain flour
170g unsalted butter
80g golden caster sugar
Tala Indigo and Ivory Enamelled Steel Roaster
Tala Performance Superior 20cm Saucepan
Tala Performance Stainless Steel Serving Spoons
Tala Blue Stoneware Mixing Bowl
Tala Indigo and Ivory Dry Cooks Measure
1. Peel and core the apples then slice them into segments and pour into a large heavy-based saucepan
2. Add 100g caster sugar and the cinnamon and nutmeg and stir it all together to combine, then pop a lid on and let the apple stew over medium heat for 5 minutes until softened. Leave to one side to cool.
3. For the crumble mix, add the flour, sugar and butter to a bowl then use your hands to bring the ingredients together, rubbing the flour and butter together with your fingertips. Mix the crumble until all the flour is mixed in but ensure you have a coarse texture with lots of lumps, then leave to one side.
4. Pour the cooled stewed apple into a large roaster (I use the Tala Indigo and Ivory 33cmx24cm Roaster) then scatter the crumble mixture across the top until all the apple is covered.
5. Bake in an oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes until the crumble is golden and bubbling.
6. Serve immediately with warm, delicious custard.