Caramel Gingerbread Man Cake
● 375g unsalted butter (softened)
● 375g light brown sugar
● 375g golden syrup
● 325g black treacle
● 750g self-raising flour
● 4 tsp ground ginger
● 2 tsp cinnamon
● 4 large eggs
● 525ml whole milk
● 300g unsalted butter (softened)
● 680g icing sugar (sifted)
● 4 tbsp whole milk
● 2 tsp ground ginger
● 2 tbsp salted caramel sauce
● Gingerbread men
● Salted caramel sauce
Tala Performance 16cm Saucepan
Tala Performance Silver Anodisd 8" Cake Tin
1. Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup and treacle in a large pan over a low heat. Stir constantly until melted and combined. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C and grease and line 3 Tala Performance Silver Anodised 8” cake tins.
3. Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger and cinnamon. Then pour in the cooled syrup mixture and beat until smooth and fully incorporated - the mixture is quite sticky and dense so this will take a lot of elbow grease or use a stand mixer/electric whisk.
4. Add in your eggs and milk and whisk until smooth - this will make the mixture quite runny.
5. Split the mixture evenly between the tins, and bake in the oven for 50 minutes - check at 40/45 minutes with a skewer, this should come out clean once baked.
6. Once the cakes are baked, leave in the tins for 10 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
7. Whilst your cakes cool down, make the buttercream. Whip the butter for 5 minutes until pale and creamy.
8. Then gradually add the icing sugar with the mixer on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition.
9. Once all the icing sugar has been incorporated, mix in the ginger and salted caramel sauce.Then, add the milk gradually until you get the desired consistency - you might find that you need more or less milk than the recipe states.
10. To assemble, make sure the cakes are completely cooled. Pipe a circle of buttercream around the base cake layer and fill in with salted caramel, do this again for the next layer.
11. Add dollops of buttercream around the sides and top of the cake and smooth with a cake scraper until you get a crumb coat effect. Then stick on your gingerbread men and enjoy!