Prep time 1 hour, plus cooling time
Bake time 10 mins
200g plain flour
60g icing sugar
130g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ready to roll royal icing
Food colouring of your choice
50g icing sugar
1 tbsp water
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and mix until you make a smooth dough.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Roll out the cookie dough on a lightly floured surface to 0.7 mm thick.
- Using a sharp knife cut out about 20 triangles, 7 cm tall and 3.5 cm wide.
- Place the cookies onto 2 large baking trays, lined with greaseproof baking paper, leaving some space between them.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for about 10 mins.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool down completely.
- Add the food colouring of your choice to the ready to roll royal icing and roll it out to 0.3-0.4 mm thick. Cut out triangles 6.5 cm tall and 3 cm wide. Brush the cookies with some water then place the fondant onto them.
- Mix together the icing sugar and water. Add some more water if too thick or some more icing sugar if too thin. Transfer to a piping bag. Cut off the very end of the icing bag tip then pipe some stripes over the cookies.
- Let dry completely before serving.