Disco Ball Cake
Preparation time 20 mins, plus 30 mins decorating time
Baking time 45 mins
Tala Performance Sphere Cake Tin
Tala Originals Plain Flour Tin
Tala Christmas Snowflake Wooden Spoon
500g plain flour, sifted
6 large eggs
250ml vegetable oil
220g caster sugar
6 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
500g unsalted butter, at room temperature
450g icing sugar, sifted
3-4 tbsp milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gray/black food colouring
500g grey fondant
Edible silver paint
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Grease two 18cm sphere cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, oil, sugar, milk and mix with an electric whisk, until nice and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime prepare the buttercream. With an electric mixer whisk the butter for 5 mins then add half of the icing sugar and beat for 4-5 mins. Add the remaining sugar and beat for another 4-5 mins. Add the milk, vanilla and food colouring and beat until well combined.
- Roll the grey fondant to a thickness of 2mm and cut out 1.5cm x 1.5cm squares.
- Brush each square with edible silver paint and let dry.
- Once the sponges are completely cooled down, assemble and decorate the cake.