Halloween ‘Blood’ Filled Cupcakes
Tala Performance 12 cup Bun Tin
Tala Set of 5 Measuring Spoons
Tala 3 Star Nozzle with Icing Bag
● 95g plain flour
● 40g dutch processed black cocoa powder (if you don’t have this then use normal cocoa
powder and add a few drops of black food gel to achieve the black colour)
● pinch of salt
● 3/4 tsp baking powder
● 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
● 2 large eggs
● 100g caster sugar
● 100g light brown sugar
● 80ml vegetable (neutral) oil
● 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
● 120ml buttermilk (room temperature)
● 240g white chocolate chips
● 100g double cream
● Red gel food colouring / oil based food colouring
● 340g butter
● 240g icing sugar
● 60g dutch processed black cocoa powder (if you don’t have this then use normal cocoa
powder and add more black food colouring)
● 150g dark chocolate
● Black gel food colouring / oil based food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cases.
2. Sift and whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt.
3. With a hand-held or stand mixer, mix the eggs, sugars, oil and vanilla together until combined. Then pour in half of the dry ingredients along with half of the buttermilk and mix together.
4. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk, stir until just combined.
5. Fill each cupcake case up to halfway (do not overfill) and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
6. While the cupcakes bake, make the ‘blood’ filling. Heat the cream in a pan until it reaches almost boiling point, then add in the white chocolate chips and stir to melt and incorporate.
7. Add a few drops of red food coloring and mix until you get the desired colour. Then set aside.
8. While the cupcakes cool, make your buttercream. Beat the butter with a hand-held or stand mixer for 3-5 minutes, until pale and fluffy.
9. Gradually add the icing sugar, and beat for a further 5 minutes. Then add the cocoa powder and salt, and beat until evenly distributed. Finally, add in the melted (and cooled) dark chocolate, and beat again until evenly distributed. Add in black food colouring until you get the desired colour.
10. To assemble, once the cupcakes have cooled, use the Tala cupcake corer to remove the centre of the cake and fill with the ‘blood’ ganache, then recover with the core piece you extracted. Using an open star piping nozzle (or any nozzle of your choice) pipe on the buttercream and sprinkle with red and black sprinkles. Enjoy!