Mini Carrot Cake Swiss Rolls with a Maple & Orange Filling
These delicious mini carrot cake swiss rolls are deliciously moreish! Soft, light, moist, springy sponges with a maple and orange whipped cream filling are super yummy and now you can make them at home too by following my easy recipe! Happy baking. x
3 large eggs
150g golden caster sugar
20ml vegetable oil
150g carrots (grated)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp salt
100g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
25g walnuts (finely chopped)
Orange & maple cream filling
300ml double cream
2tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Zest of 1 orange
80g white chocolate
1. Grease and line Talas 39.5 x 27cm baking tray and preheat oven to 160 fan.
2. Whisk eggs and sugar together until thick and pale in colour.
3. Add vegetable oil, vanilla and grated carrots to the mix and gently fold through.
4. Sift over the flour, salt and spices, scatter over the nuts and fold through carefully trying not to knock out too much air.
5. Pour the sponge mixture into the tin, level with a spatula and bake for 15-18minutes until lightly golden, springy to touch or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin. Place a strip of baking parchment on the work surface and dust with icing sugar.
7. Lift the sponge out of the tin and place face down on the paper. Gently peel away the parchment from the sponge and with the shortest end facing you, roll up tightly to the centre and the same with the other side so they meet in the middle. Leave to cool completely.
8. Whip the cream, maple syrup and vanilla together until thick and pillowy. Add the zest and gently mix.
9. Unroll the sponge and cut down the middle so you have two pieces. Spread half the creamy mix over one piece and roll back up tightly. Repeat with the other piece in the same way.
10. Trim the edges to neaten and cut each roll piece into three.
11. Dust each Swiss roll with a little icing sugar, pipe the melted chocolate on top and decorate with edible flowers if you wish.