Mini Lemon Decorative Cakes
We've been testing out lots of different flavours and decorations in time for Easter weekend. We tend to use the same recipe for the cakes and then jazz them up with different flavoured icing. Our favourites so far are coffee, rose and lemon. The best kind of gifts are edible in our opinion and these little cakes fit perfectly into jars to make a wonderful Easter present.
Melted unsalted butter for greasing
150g plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of fine sea salt
150g caster sugar
150g crème fraiche
90ml sunflower oil
2 eggs, beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ Gas 4.
- Brush the mini decorative cake tin with melted butter, making sure to get into all the grooves.
- Sift the plain flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the caster sugar, crème fraiche, sunflower oil, eggs, vanilla extract and lemon zest and beat well with a whisk until fully incorporated.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients in two batches until filly incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the prepared mini decorative tin, filling each hole until its ¾ full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approx. 20 minutes, until risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean. Leave the cakes in the tin for five minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
50ml lemon juice
150g icing sugar
Grated lemon zest
Combine the lemon juice and icing sugar in a bowl and mix until smooth. Drizzle over the cakes and scatter over the lemon zest.