Pesto Feta Filo Pastry Swirls
Time 50 minutes
For the Pesto:
80g sunflower seeds
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 garlic clove
20g fresh basil (some small stalks are OK)
10g baby spinach
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp water, as needed
For the Filling:
250g baby spinach
1 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, small dice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
80g vegan feta cheese, crumbled
40g vegan cheddar-style cheese, grated
For the Swirls:
5 sheets of filo pastry
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Fresh basil leaves
- Start by making the pesto: add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth, adding water as needed. Measure 100g for the filling and keep the rest in the fridge in a sealed container for 3-5 days.
- For the filling: add all the spinach to a large pan and cook over a high heat with a lid on, stirring often to wilt the leaves. They will reduce down a lot and leave you with about 1 packed cup of spinach. Leave in a sieve suspended over a bowl.
- Return the pan to the heat with 1 tsp olive oil and fry off the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 170Fan/190*C and line a tray with baking parchment.
- Squeeze out all the excess water from the spinach and roughly chop it. Add to a mixing bowl with the pesto, onion and garlic mix, both cheeses and season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Place one sheet of filo pastry on a clean work surface and gently brush with olive oil. Spoon 1/5 of the mix all along the longest edge of the pastry in a sausage shape. Gently and loosely roll up the filling into a long sausage shape. Now coil the pastry into a swirl (don’t worry if there are some tears). Place on the baking sheet and repeat to make 5 swirls.
- Brush the swirls with more olive oil and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with salads, potatoes and other vegetables.
- These can also be enjoyed cold, allow to cool fully then store in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.