Portuguese Custard Tarts
Flavours from Portugal
- 12 Cup Shallow Bun Tin
- Stoneware Mixing Bowl
- 16cm Performance Classic Saucepan
- Silicone Spatula Spoon
- 3 Tier Cooling Rack
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- 1 whole egg (large)
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml full fat (creamy) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- Lightly grease the 12 cup shallow bun tin, and preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6
- Put the egg, egg yolks, sugar & cornflour in a pan and mix well together. Once combined, gradually add the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the pan on medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove the pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the custard in the glass bowl to cool, covering with cling film to prevent skin forming.
- Cut the pastry sheet into two pieces, and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry from the short side into a tight log. Cut the log into 12 even sized rounds.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10cm) and press the pastry discs into the bun tin.
- Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25mins until golden on top. Can be enjoyed warm, or when cooled down