Prep time: 40 mins, plus cooling time
Baking time: 1h and 10 mins
700g pumpkin, peeled and deseeded
150ml double cream
120g caster sugar
1&1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
3 medium eggs
350g sweet shortcrust pastry
600ml double cream, whipped
Icing sugar, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste
- Cut the pumpkin into cubes then steam cook for 15 mins or until tender.
Cool down, then puree in a food processor.
- Add the eggs, sugar, cream and spices to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the pureed pumpkin and mix. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until large enough to line a 9 inch pie dish, previously buttered.
- Lift the pastry over a rolling pin, drape into the pie dish and gently press over the base and sides. Trim off the excess.
- Blind bake for 15 mins in a preheated oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4. Remove the baking paper and beans then carry on baking for a further 10 mins.
- Remove the pastry from the oven then turn the temperature up to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the dish.
- Bake for 45 mins until the filling is set. Cover with foil if it starts to over-brown.
- Serve with whipped cream and dusted with icing sugar and extra spices, if liked.