Red Velvet Truffles
Prep time 30-35 mins, plus chilling time
Bake time 35-40 mins
150g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 teaspoon cacao powder
2 large eggs
70g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1&½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red food colouring
200g soft cream cheese
50g icing sugar
300g white chocolate, for coating
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and cacao powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat the sugar and butter until nice and fluffy then add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla extract and food red colouring and mix well.
- Fold in the dried ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar with the baking soda then add to the cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a 18 cm round cake tin, lined with greaseproof baking paper. Bake for 35-40 mins.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool down completely.
- Add the cake, cream cheese and icing sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and combine until you get a smooth dough.
- Scoop a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into your hands, then roll into balls.
- Place the cake balls on a tray covered with greaseproof baking paper then transfer to the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Melt the chocolate then dip each ball into it, using a fork to turn, then let dry on a wire rack.
- Add some red food colouring to the leftover chocolate then drizzle over the truffles.