Rhubarb and Lemon Squares
Preparation time 15 mins
Baking time 25 mins
125g unsalted butter, softened
100g caster sugar
100g ground almonds
200g plain flour, sifted
3 teaspoons baking powder
Zest of 2 lemons
50ml lemon juice
4 medium eggs
3/4 rubharb sticks
- Carefully wash the rubharb and cut each stick in smaller sticks about 22cm long. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Lightly grease a 25cm x 18cm baking tray.
- Pour the mixture into the tray and evenly spread it around with the help of a spatula.
- Top the cake mixture with the rubharb sticks.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 180°C/160°C fan for 25 mins.
- Let cool down before cutting 12 squares.