IngredientsFor The Pastry
- 250g strong plain flour
- 250g unsalted butter
- 5g fine sea salt
- 150ml cold water
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Splash milk
- 1kg Sausage meat
- 1 banana shallot, diced
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch Parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Start buy making the pastry. Sift 250g strong plain flour and 1 tsp fine sea salt into a mixing bowl. Break 250g butter into small chunks, add them to the bowl and rub them in, loosely. It’s not like breadcrumbs, You need to be able to see lumps of butter!
- Make a well in the bowl and pour in about 100ml of the cold water, mixing until you have a firm rough dough. Add more water if you need it.
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 20 mins in the fridge.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and form into a smooth rectangle.
- Roll the dough out in one direction, until 3 times the width Keep edges as straight as you can. Don’t overwork the butter streaks; you want a marbled effect here.
- Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that. Give the dough a quarter turn (to the left or right) and roll out again to three times the length. Fold as before, cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 mins before rolling to use.
- While your pastry is resting, make your sausage meat mix. On a low-medium heat, sweat down your finely diced shallot in a tablespoon of butter and a splash of olive oil. When they are soft and translucent, throw in the chopped sage, stir and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Put the sausage meat in a large mixing bowl. When the shallot mix is at room temperature, add to the sausage meat with the salt and mix with a fork or your hands.
- Remove your pastry from the fridge, lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out your dough until 3-5mm thick.
- Pick up a handful of sausage meat mix and roll between your hands until it’s the thickness of a golf ball, but cylindrical. Place this in the middle of the pastry and repeat until you have a thick sausage of meat.
- Take the bottom of the pastry and fold it over the meat. With a pastry brush draw one line of the beaten egg and milk mix to stick the pasty to itself. Cut any excess pastry and put to one side ready to use any leftover meat mix. Roll the whole sausage roll over so the seam is underneath.
- Place your sausage roll on a baking tray and brush with the egg and milk wash.
- Sprinkle with some dried oregano. Bake in the preheated oven at 190 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the internal temperature of the sausage roll has reached 72 degrees.