Jubilee Victoria Sponge Cake
Union Jack Jubilee Victoria Sponge Cake
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g caster sugar
- 300g self raising flour
- 5 large eggs
- 95 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g strawberry jam
- Tala Performance Baking Tray
- Tala Stoneware Mixing Bowl
- Tala Balloon Whisk
- Tala icing Spatula
- Tala Non-stick Cooling Rack
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 510g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 5-6 tbsp whole milk (depending on desired consistency)
- 100g raspberries
- 150g strawberries (chopped)
- 200g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line the bottom of the Tala tray bake tin with grease proof paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand-held electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Then gradually add in the flour in batches, again mixing well between each addition.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla. Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and bake for 30-35 minutes. The cake should be golden on top.
- Whilst leaving the cake to cool, make the buttercream. Whip the butter for 5 mins until pale and creamy.
- Then gradually add the icing sugar with the mixer on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition.
- Once all the icing sugar has been incorporated, mix in the vanilla and gradually add the milk until you get the desired consistency. You might find that the buttercream is still too thick, if so, add a few tbsp milk.
- Once the cake is cooled, cut it in half like a sandwich and spread the jam across the bottom half, then place the top half of the cake back on.
- Spread the buttercream on top of the cake. Then, create the Union Jack flag with your blueberries, raspberries and chopped up strawberries. Enjoy with a cup of tea and Jubilee celebrations!